Prawn Jollof Rice recipe is a combination of fragrant jollof rice and creamy marinated prawns with subtle hit of spices makes for a brilliant addition to your dinner recipes. It also works brilliantly with fish or other types of seafood. This no-fuss jollof rice recipe can be varied with different flavours or even type of rice to suit your tastes. Possibly the easiest jollof rice you’ll ever make, with little spice mix and prawns.
It’s all your favourite rice recipes with an easy healthier twist – make your prawns hearty with masala marinate, feel free to throw in veggie mix. Could make an addition to your healthy recipes, treat yourself to a guilt-free recipe, and end your evenings with juicy prawns and rice.
- 4 cups of basmati rice
- 10 medium size tomatoes
- 140g tomato puree/paste
- 3 scotch bonnets
- Crushed ginger and garlic
- 1 tbsp. thyme
- 2 tbsp. curry
- 1 large red peppers
- 2 medium onions; 1 to be sliced, 1 to be blended
- 4 bay leaves
- Seasoning cubes; Maggi/Knorr
- Stalt to taste
- Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Ginger and garlic, crushed
- Salt to taste
* Don’t want your rice to come out mushy? The trick to your rice grains coming out nice and singly is cooking with the heat from the creamy stew instead of adding too much water.
* Always cover pot tight to allow the most of the heat within the pot – traps all the flavours.
* You can use a sticking pot. Using a pot with a heavy base gives possibility of the rice to burn. Which is okay, since most people prefer their jollof rice with that smokey flavour.
- Blend the pepper, tomatoes, onion, garlic and ginger. Pour into a dry pot and cook until the moisture in it comes off and you get a thick tomato paste.
- Rinse the rice thoroughly to remove the starch. Boil hot water and pour it into the uncooked rice in a bowl. Leave for about 5 minutes and wash with cold water. Drain in a sieve and set aside.
- Mix marinating spices with soy sauce and litter water to make it creamy soak the prawns in the marinate and set aside.
- In a cooking pot, heat up the vegetable oil. Slice 2 fresh tomatoes – add the sliced tomatoes and sliced onions. Stir fry for about 3 minutes. Add the cooked tomato mix and fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tin tomato puree/paste and stir fry some more until the vegetable oil separates from the tomato paste. Add the curry powder, thyme, seasoning cubes and salt to taste. Mix in properly, and adjust to taste if necessary. Add the bay leaves.
- Add in the prawns and the creamy marinate into the stew. Stir-in the rice and mix together thoroughly. Taste for salt and seasoning, add some more if you need to. Cover the pot tight and allow to cook.
- Stir at the top every now and then with a wooden spoon, to transfer heat from the bottom to the top, but also helps to avoid burning. Cover pot and allow the heat process going on inside to cook the rice till is done.
See more Food recipes