Biryani Recipe: Everyone loves biryani. And it can be made pretty much with anything – the ingredients, spices and seasoning used can depend on one’s taste. Homemade recipes guide on how to cook biryani recipe with prawn – serve up this classic curry dinner with basmati rice, prawns and veggies.
We also recommend Prawn Jollof Rice
Ingredients For Prawn Biryani
- Basmati rice
- Raw medium sized prawns
- Vegetable oil
- Chili powder
- coriander leaves
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- Mint leaves
- I large tomato, sliced
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 red chillies, 1 finely diced and one sliced at an angle
- 4 tbsp balti curry paste
- Fresh chicken stock
- 1 tbsp toasted, flaked almonds
- Salt to taste
Preparation of Prawn Biryani
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 30 mins. Drain and set aside. Mix the prawns with the marination and set aside.
- Bring lots of water to a boil, add salt to it and when it reached a rolling boil, add in rice and cook for about 7 to 8 mins till the rice is around 95 percent cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add in the prawns and cook on high heat for 2 mins. Remove it and set aside. In the same oil add in onions, chillies and saute till golden. Remove half of the fried onions to a plate and set aside. In the remaining fried onions, add in ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute.
- Add in spice powders and mix well. Add in tomatoes and cook till mushy. Add in salt, half of the coriander and mint leaves. Mix well. Cook till raw smell leaves away. Add in the prawns and toss well in the masala.
- Layer-in the cooked rice, fried onions, coriander and mint leave. Cover with a tight lid and put the pot on very low heat for 10 mins.
- Turn off the heat and leave for 5 minutes. Stir well, mixing through half the coriander. To serve, scatter over the remaining coriander, sliced red chillies and flaked almonds. Serve hot!