Everything you could ever want in a beef stew. The Jamaican beef stew is a hearty slow cooker stew with melt-in-your-mouth tender beef chunks in creamy sauce flavoured with herbs and seasonings and fresh vegetables make it so flavourful. A homemade recipe delight, delicious in every way and hits the spot if you are looking for strong and assertive rich flavours! Serve with freshly cooked white rice. Read on to learn how to making this Jamaican stew recipe.
We also recommend step-by-step guide on how to make oxtail pepper soup recipe.
- 2 pounds stew beef cut in small chunks (quantity & size of your choice)
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 small bell pepper
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
- Scotch bonnet pepper or 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2-3 Green Onions diced
- 2-3 pounds potatoes cut in large chunks
- 2 cups broth/water or more
- 2-3 Large carrots cut in large chunks
- 2-3 Tablespoons parsley optional
*Salt and pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sugar; cook and stir for 1 minute or until lightly browned. Add beef and brown on all sides.
- Stir in the vegetables, broth, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, steak sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice or potatoes if desired.